10 Common Electrical Problems Around the Home

Posted on

Electrical safety should be of paramount importance in every household. Many residential fires spawn from faulty wiring configurations, overloading, and other electrical problems.

We asked Atlanta Electrician – an electrical repair company what are the most common electrical problems homeowners should look out for ? Here’s the answer we got, that will help you protect your home and avoid the risk of serious potential electrical hazards. Here are 10 of the most common electrical issues to look out for:

  1. Flickering or dimming lights

Flickering lights may indicate that there is a poor connection somewhere in the circuit or your panel is overloaded. This requires the attention of a skilled electrician for proper diagnosis and resolution.

  • Dead electrical outlets

There are several possible reasons why an electrical outlet may stop working. It could be due to a short circuit or a temporary overload. It can also happen because of a loose wire or connection at the electrical box.

  • Outlets and switches that feel warm to touch

A warm outlet electrical problem can be a symptom that something is wrong with the wiring or there are some loose terminals in the box that generates extra heat. It can also indicate that there is overloading in your circuit. You should not ignore this sign and have an electrician check you wiring the soonest time possible.

  • Frequently tripping circuit breakers

Circuit breakers are vital for the safe and efficient distribution of power throughout your home’s electrical system. If your circuit breakers trip every so often, it could mean that your circuit is overloaded or your panel badly needs an upgrade. This can be a potential fire hazard and requires immediate attention.

  • Loose outlets

Outlets are also subject to wear and tear. You should contact an electrician promptly if your receptacles are no longer able to provide a good grip when you plug in devices. Loose outlets can cause power arcing which is a serious fire hazard.

  • Light bulbs that burn out too often

An excessive voltage of current can cause your light bulb to burn out much faster. The problem may also be at the switch itself, or it could be due to a loose or poorly connected wiring.

  • Ungrounded outlets

From the two-prong outlets widely used before, newer outlets now come with three prongs. The third prong is intended to be for ground use which offers enhanced protection against power surges and electric shocks. If you are still using two-pronged outlets, it’s high time you upgrade into grounded outlets. Or, if you are not sure if there is a proper ground system in your outlets, contact a licensed electrician for assessment immediately. While ungrounded outlets aren’t necessarily a problem per se, they are essential elements to enhance electrical safety in your home.

  • Improper wire junctions or terminations

A wire junction is where two or more wires meet. For safety reasons, wire junctions must be wire-nutted and enclosed in a secure junction box. The ends of the wire or where the wiring terminates should also be wire-nutted to avoid shock hazards.

  • Too many power bars and extension cords

One of the leading causes of electrical fires is an overloaded outlet, where too many devices are plugged in simultaneously in one receptacle. Consider hiring an electrician to install additional outlets which are more apt to cater to our modern lifestyle and the way we use appliances nowadays. Also, as much as possible avoid the use of extension cords as they are both tripping and electrical hazards.

  • Power surges

Lightning strikes can cause power surges. The same goes if you have malfunctioning appliances or you have faulty wiring at home. Electrical surges can be very brief, but frequent power surges can damage your appliances and shorten their lifespan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *